California LLC Payments

California has a confusing number of LLC payment vouchers… Here is a quick guide that  we’re passing around the office.

  • Form 3522 (Prior Year) – to be used to pay last year’s $800 payment if it was not made (regardless of when paid)
  • Form 3522 – to be used for the current year’s $800  due in April
  • Form 3536 – to be used for the estimated gross receipts fee due in June
  • Form 3537 – this is called the payment voucher for automatic extensions but should only be used if LLC is going on extension AND there is nonconsenting nonresident members’ tax owed.  (Extra credit if you need to file this one!)
  • Form 3588 – Payment Voucher for LLC electronically filed returns – This is only used if the LLC is e-filing and has a balance due based on the gross receipts fee.  (This would be when no 3536 payment was made)
Franchise Tax Board Website top screen scrape
Visit the Franchise Tax Board’s site for
More Information on LLCs and Taxes

California LLC extensions are automatic.  There is nothing to file and therefore nothing to be e-filed.  Instead, make the payments on the voucher for the type of payment you are making.

So to recap… for most small LLC’s, you only need to worry about the current and prior year 3522’s at extension time.  It looks to me like the extension transmittal letter is now including reference to both forms appropriately.  (Good news!)

2 Replies to “California LLC Payments”

  1. It’s not clear if you have an LLC with, for example, $300K of gross revenues if you pay the $900 by June 15th with form 3536 or form 3588.

    1. The LLC fee should be paid using form 3536. If you do not realize that your gross receipts will exceed $250,000 until September 15 of the 2021, we still recommend paying the fee using form 3536 even though it was due in June. Payments may also be remitted electronically through the FTB site.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *